Search This Blog

January 23, 2015

US Tax Reporting of Foreign Pension Plans by Expats

Foreign pension plans in almost every situation are not treated the same as US pension plans.  Often the employers contribution and earnings in the account are immediately taxable on your US tax return even though tax deferred in the foreign country of origin.  There are some beneficial exceptions to these rules in the US tax treaties with Canada and the UK.. In most situations you may also have to report the amounts in your foreign pension plan on Form 114 (foreign financial account report) which is filed separately from your US tax return and is due on 6/30 following the end of each calendar year.  READ MORE HERE

No comments: