Search This Blog

January 29, 2017

DO NOT Purchase Foreign Mutual Funds - Or You May Have to File Form 8621 Which Could Take you 48 hours

If you live abroad, or in the USA, do not make the mistake of purchasing a foreign mutual fund.  Why?  Such You must file as separate form for each foreign mutual fund each year.  If the aggregate value of your PFIC stocks are less than $25,000 if filing as single for $50,000 if fiing jointly you are excepted from filing.  There are other exceptions but they are complex and you should read 8621 Instructions to see if your particular situation is excepted.

The IRS estimates it could take 48 hours to analyze the data, analyze the law and then complete the form for just one foreign mutual fund investment (if not excepted from filing). You can  only guess the amount professional tax return preparers will charge to complete these forms.

What is solution to avoid this horrendous tax return problem?  Only purchase foreign stocks directly owned in your own name since these are treated the same as US stocks and the purchase, sale and reporting would be the same as for US stocks. An alternative is to purchase US mutual funds that invest in foreign stocks (these are not considered PFICs) and again treated the same on your tax return as a US stock.

January 26, 2017

Social Security - When Retiring Abroad In What Countries Can You Continue to Receive Benefits?

If you are retiring abroad and want to collect social security, sometimes there are restrictions and limits imposed by the social security administration. READ MORE ABOUT THE RULES HERE.

January 23, 2017

2016 Fast Tax Facts for US Expatriates and Green Card Holders Living and Working Abroad

If you are a US Citizen you must file a US tax return every year unless your taxable income is less than
$20,700 - for a joint return or $ 10,350 - for a single return or married filing separately (these amounts are for 2016 and are lower for earlier tax years) or have self employment-independent contractor net self employment income of more than $ 400 US per year.You are taxable on your worldwide income regardless of whether you filed a tax return in your country of residence. You must file a tax return each year if you income exceeds the amounts stated above even if you owe no tax. There is an additional dependents deduction of $4,050 for each child (subject to citizenship and other requirements).

As a US expatriate living and working abroad 4/15/17, your 2016 tax return is automatically extended until 6/15/17 but any taxes due must be paid by 4/15/17 to avoid penalties and interest. The return can be further extended until 10/15/17 if the proper extension form is filed. An even further extension until December may be available.

For 2016 if you are a qualified expatriate you get a foreign earned income exclusion (earnings from wages or self employment) of $101,400, but this exclusion is only available if you file a tax return. You must qualify under one of two tests to take this exclusion: (1) bonafide resident test or (2) physical presence test. You can read more about how to qualify in IRS Publication 54. This exclusion only applies to income taxes and does not apply to US self employment tax (social security plus medicare). You spouse who lives and works abroad with you will also be able to use this exclusion against any earned income they have abroad. You can lose this exclusion if you file your return more than 18 months late. The exclusion can only be claimed on filed tax return and does not apply if you fail to file a tax return

For 2016 if you qualify for the entire year for the foreign earned income exclusion (form 2555) you will be excluded from having to comply with the health insurance rules (or possible penalties) of Obamacare (ACA). These rules are complex and should be reviewed if you do not qualify for the expat exclusion for the entire year of 2016

If your foreign earnings from wages or self employment exceed the foreign earned income exclusion you can claim a housing expense for the rent, utilities and maintenance you pay if those amounts that exceed a minimum amount of $16,800 (for an entire year) up to a maximum amount which varies by your foreign country of residence.(For country limitations see Form 2555 instructions)

You get credits against your US income tax obligation for foreign income taxes paid to a foreign country but you must file a US tax return to claim these credits. This avoids double taxation of the same income.

If you own 10% or more of a Foreign corporation or Foreign partnership (LLC) you must file special IRS forms or incur substantial penalties which can be greater including criminal prosecution if the IRS discovers you have failed to file these forms.

If you create a foreign trust or are a beneficiary of a foreign trust you may be obligated to file forms 3520 and /or 3520A each year to report those activities or be subject to severe penalties. Foreign foundations and non-profits which indirectly benefit you may be foreign trusts in the eyes of the IRS.

Your net self employment income in a foreign country (earned as an independent contractor or in your own sole proprietorship) is subject to US self employment tax (medicare and social security) of 15.3% which cannot be reduced or eliminated by the foreign earned income exclusion. The one exception is if you live in one of the very few countries that have a social security agreement with the US and you pay that countries equivalent of social security. Your investment income (passive income) may also be subject to a 3.8% additional medicare tax if you income as a married filing jointly exceeds $250,000 or $200,000 if filing as single.

Forming the correct type of foreign corporation and making the proper US tax election (to cause the income and foreign taxes the foreign corporation pays to flow through to your personal US tax return) with the IRS for that corporation may save you significant income taxes and avoid later adverse tax consequences. You need to take investigate this procedure before you actually form that foreign because it can be difficult to make that election later and only certain types of foreign business entities are eligible to make this election..

If at any time during the tax year your combined highest balances in your foreign bank and financial accounts (when added together) ever equal or exceed $10,000US you must file a FBAR form 114 with the IRS by October 15, 2017 for the prior calendar year or incur a penalty of $10,000 or more including criminal prosecution. Foreign financial accounts often include foreign pension plans, stock brokerage accounts, and cash surrender value of foreign life insurance. This form does not go in with your personal income tax return and can only be filed separately on the web at:

In the past several years the IRS has hired thousands of new employees to audit, investigate and discover Americans living abroad who have failed to file all necessary tax forms. These audits have begun and will increase significantly in the future. The IRS gets lists of Americans applying or renewing for US passports or entering the country. They will compare these lists with those who are filing US income tax returns and take action against those who do not.

Often due to foreign tax credits and the the foreign earned income tax expats living abroad who file all past year unfiled tax returns end up owing no or very little US taxes. The IRS has several special programs which will help you catch up if you are in arrears which will reduce or possibly eliminate all potential penalties for failing to file the required foreign asset reporting forms. We can direct you to the best program for your situation, prepare the returns and forms and represent you before the IRS.

Beginning in 2011 a new law went into effect which requires all US Citizens report all of their world wide financial assets with their personal tax return if in total the value of those assets exceed certain minimum amounts starting at $50,000 . Failure to file that form 8938 on time can result in a penalty of $10,000. The form is complex and has different rules that apply to you if you live abroad or live in the US. This form is required in addition to the FBAR form. 114.

Certain types of income of foreign corporations are immediately taxable on the US shareholder's personal income tax return. This is called Subpart F income. The rules are complex and if you own a foreign corporation you need to determine if these rules apply to you when you file the required form 5471 for that corporation.

If you own investments in a foreign corporation or own foreign mutual fund shares you may be required to file the IRS form 8621 for owning part of a Passive Foreign Investment Company (PFIC) or incur additional, taxes and penalties for your failure to do so. A PFIC is any foreign corporation that has more than 75% of its gross income from passive income or 50 percent or more of its assets produce or will produce passive income.

Download your 2016 US tax return questionnaire prepared expressly for Expatriates at Send us your completed questionnaire and we will immediately provide you with a flat fee quote for preparing your return.

Don D. Nelson, US Tax Attorney, Kauffman Nelson, LLP, CPAs
34145 Pacific Coast Highway #601
Dana Point, California 92629 USA

US Phone: (949) 480-1235, US Fax: (949) 606-9627
Email: or
Skype: dondnelson
Visit our International Tax Blog for the Latest Expat and International Tax Developments at /

We have been preparing tax returns and assisting US clients located in over 123 countries around the the world for over 35 years. We also assist US Nonresidents meet their US tax obligations and return filing requirements. Email, skype or phone us for immediate assistance. We offer mini consultations (with attorney client privilege) to answer your tax questions and resolve your tax issues.

For additional useful informaton and tax assistance go to

Disclaimer and Conditions: The information contained herein is general in nature and is not to be construed or relied on as tax or legal advice with respect to you individual tax situation or questions. Your use of this material does not create any attorney/CPA relationship between you and this firm or any other obligation. You are advised to retain competent tax professionals help with your individual tax matters and for appropriate answers your specific tax questions.