Search This Blog

January 27, 2015

US Expatriates - Every Resource You Need to Know about filing Taxes When Living Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

When to File

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien residing overseas, or are in the military on duty outside the U.S., on the regular due date of your return, you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return without requesting an extension. For a calendar year return, the automatic 2-month extension is to June 15.  Note that you must pay any tax due by April 15 or interest will be charged starting from April 15.

Where to File

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien (including a green card holder) and you live in a foreign country, mail your U.S. tax return to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

Filing Requirements 


U.S. Residency Status








Other Taxes



 When you need more help go to our website at www.TaxMeLess or 

We offer a service to review your self prepared return or one prepared by another for correct application of the complex expat and international tax laws. Email for more


No comments: