Search This Blog

March 12, 2013

Deadlines in 2013 For Filing Expat Taxes for Tax Year 2012

  • March 15, 2013.  Due date of Form 3520A which must be filed by Foreign Trusts when a US person has ownership or control. This form can be extended with Form 7004 until September 15th
  • April 15, 2013 – US tax return filing deadline for those living in  the US and due date for all taxes owed whether you are an expat or resident. If any taxes are owed after this payment, those amounts are subject to penalties and interest.
  • June 17, 2013 – US tax return abroad deadline for expats but can be extended by filing form 4868 prior to this date with IRS
  • June 30, 2013 – Foreign Bank Account Form is due (FBAR, or Form 90-22.1) - Must be received by IRS on this date (not date of mailing)
  • October 15, 2013 – Final tax deadline for US tax returns for expats abroad IF you have already applied for an extension. NOTE. There may be one more extension available until December 15th, if you file a letter request with the IRS under certain circumstances.
  • Forms 5471, 3520, 886,5, 8621 and most other foreign entity and special reporting forms are due on the extended due date of your personal tax return for 2012. If filed late, you may be subject to substantial penalties which are usually $10,000 or more.
Kauffman Nelson LLP, Certified Public Accountants have extensive experience over the past 30 years with US International, Nonresident  and Expatriate Taxation.  Visit our website at or email us at  Our skype address is: dondnelson.   Thank you. Don D. Nelson, Attorney, CPA.


Karla said...

Thanks for posting this information! Trying to navigate the 5471 is complicated to say the least. I'm the sole administrator with 99% of the voting shares of a CFC with less than $100,000 USD in assets, less than $5,000 USD in income, and less than $5,000 USD in expenses in 2012. Can I still file the summary 5471 as a dormant foreign corporation? We did some business in 2012, but earned less than $1,600 USD and the expenses far exceeded this, but didn't hit the $5,000 USD mark (the original investment to start the business was less than $3,600 USD and that hasn't been depleted yet). Thanks!

Don D. Nelson said...

If your foreign corporation fits all criteria for a Dormant Corporation as set forth in the instructions to Form 5471 on page 4, you can do it. If you do not comply with any one of those criteria, you must file the entire form 5471. We do many hundreds each year so let us know if you need help. Don