Search This Blog

September 28, 2012

Expats Can Extend Tax Return Due Date Up Until 12/15/12 If Previous Extension Filed

All taxpayers are generally entitled to an automatic 6-month extension of time to file their returns by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, , with the Internal Revenue Service.

In addition to this 6-month extension, taxpayers who are out of the country (as defined in the Form 4868 instructions) can request a discretionary 2-month additional extension of time to file their returns (to December 15 for calendar year taxpayers).

To request this additional 2 month  extension, you must send the Internal Revenue Service a letter explaining the reasons why you need the additional 2 months to complete your tax return. Send the letter by the previously  extended due date (October 15 for calendar year taxpayers) to the following address:

Internal Revenue Service CenterAustin, TX 73301-0215USA

You will not receive any notification from the Internal Revenue Service unless your request is denied for being untimely.  Therefore it is best to send this letter extension request by Certified Mail Return Receipt or another method where you have proof the request was sent in timely.  If you are sending your request by DHL, UPS or Fed Exp from abroad, the street address for delivery is on our website at

The discretionary 2-month additional extension is not available to taxpayers who have an approved extension of time to file on Form 2350 (for U.S. citizens and resident aliens abroad who expect to qualify for special tax treatment).

No comments: