Search This Blog

October 22, 2011

Costa Rica Banks Will Report US Taxpayers Holdings to IRS

The Tico Times reports that in 2013, Costa Rica Banks will start reporting US Citizen Bank Accounts and holdings to the Internal Revenue Service (read article here). If this applies to your situation as a resident of Costa Rica or property owner, you should immediately begin to report all financial accounts located outside of the US using the IRS FBAR form TDF 90-22.1.  Failure to file this form each year (it is due on 6/30 following the end of each calendar year) can result in IRS penalties of $10,000 or more per year and possible criminal prosecution.

Another IRS requirement is that you report your Costa Rica Corporation, whether active or dormant, using form 5471 attached to your US tax return each year.  Some years you may also have to file form 926 also. There are no exceptions to this rule. The penalty for not filing that form is also $10,000 per year.

In most situations, these forms are just reporting forms, and do not result in any additional tax due. Best to file now to avoid bigger problems in another year when the IRS will get the lists from the Costa Rica Banks. We can help. 

No comments: