Search This Blog

April 17, 2011

US Expatriate Tax Return and related Foreign Tax Forms Due Dates

If you live and work abroad your personal 2010 tax return is automatically extended until 6/15/11, but if you wish to avoid penalties and interest on any underpayments you should pay in the amount due (or estimate) by 4/18/11.  Your first quarter estimated tax for 2011 is also due to be made on 4/18/11 using form 1040 ES. You can extend until 10/15/11 your expatriate tax return on or before 6/15/11 by filing Form 4868 with the appropriate box checked.  If you need to extend your expatriate return beyond that date in order to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion you need to file Form 2350. 

If you do not file the necessary form to extend your personal return and end up owing taxes, failure to properly extend the form will result in the large penalty of 5% per month of the tax due up to a maximum penalty of 25% of the tax due plus interest. Best to not miss filing that extension due to this high penalty.

Your TDF 90 -22.1 Form reporting foreign financial, bank accounts, etc., must be received by 6/30/11 at the Detroit address on that form. No extensions can be obtain. Late filing can result in penalties of $10,000 or more.

Your Form 5471 for Foreign Corporations, 8865 for foreign partnerships and LLCs, 3520 for foreign trusts and Mexican Fideicomisos,  and Form 8858 for disregarded entities  are all on the  due dae of  your personal return  or  its extended due date if that is later and you have filed an extension.

No comments: