Search This Blog

May 12, 2017

US Expatriate Tax Return Extension Form Needs to be Filed by June 15th

Expats living and working abroad can extend the due date of their personal 2016 tax return to 10/15/17 by filing Form 4868 on or before June 15, 2017.  If you owe taxes and fail to file this form penalties will accrue for late filing of 5% of tax due for each month thereafter up to a maximum of 25%.  This is in addition to any other penalties and interest also accruing for not paying any taxes owed on 4/18/17.  The extension form can be download at

If you are still abroad on 10/15/17 after filing form 4868  you can even get a further extension until 12/15/17 by send a letter containing the required information to the IRS.

Filing late is not necessarily bad since many believe it reduces your chance of an IRS audit. The IRS of course will not comment onf these theories.  Have questions? Email or go to 

No comments: