Search This Blog

February 23, 2011


Many  US expats who have moved abroad call us after learning of tax liens and other IRS change, letters, etc and state they never received them.  They want to use that as an excuse for their failure to respond or to get  additional taxes, penalties and interest abated.  That does not work.

It is your obligation as a US Taxpayer to keep the IRS Informed of your current mailing address. If you do not, you are solely responsible for any adverse consequences, not the IRS.  If the mail delivery is poor in the country you plan to live, it is best to use a friend or relative's address in the US so you are certain you will receive all IRS communications.

 Change Your IRS Address Records  You can change your address on file with the IRS in several ways:
  • Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return;
  • Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year.  It can be downloaded at;
  • Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, each spouse should notify the IRS of their new address.

No comments: