Search This Blog

February 19, 2011


You can still get US social security
If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your benefits in most foreign countries, usually by check or direct deposit. If you are not a U.S. citizen, the answer is more complicated, with certain rules applying to certain countries. For specifics, see the Social Security publication "Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States." 

You generally must pay into social security for ten years to get benefits. Many US expats who work for foreign employers do not pay into US social security and therefore may not have enough credits to collect benefits.  You cannot receive it just because you are a US Citizen if you did not pay into the system. Read more at

No comments: